09 April 2007

Too fat to believe it

A girl behind the counter in Starbucks had a "lovely" conversation with my best friend today
Starbucks lady: - Oh, mam, I haven't seen you here for ages.
Long pause studying my friend's face.
- You've gotten bigger.
My friend: - What do you mean?
Starbucks lady: - I mean you became a little bit fat, mam.
Smile as she left to prepare the coffee.
Long pause as my friend's jaw dropped.
My friend: - Well thank you very much, it was very nice to hear that. [round eyes, confused expression].

I couldn't believe what I heard as I stood next to my friend.
So I decided to write a few rules to all the well-wishers:

Don't: Ask a woman if she is pregnant unless she tells you or she's on her 9th month and looks like a big whale.
Don't: Tell anybody they are fat. Keep your thoughts to yourself.
Don't: Work in Starbucks if you know nothing about customer care.

That's it. In solidarity with my friend I'm officially switching to Costa!

No comments: